Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 80

Thread: Favorite Region D match-up?

  1. #31
    Inactive Member imported_Sportsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    1,486
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Favorite Region D match-up?

    I believe the last ten years have been like this:
    95 Rye Cove or Haysi
    96 Haysi
    97 Haysi
    98 JJK
    99 Thomas Walker
    00 JJK
    01 Appalachia
    02 JJK
    03-04 Haysi
    04-05 Gate City

  2. #32
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Favorite Region D match-up?

    I will say this in regards to RC's girls team. They 'look' better out there than just about every girls team I saw this year with the exception of SP. Very athletic, good size.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  3. #33
    Inactive Member gump's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 9th, 2006
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Favorite Region D match-up?

    [ QUOTE ]
    I believe the last ten years have been like this:
    95 Rye Cove or Haysi
    96 Haysi
    97 Haysi
    98 JJK
    99 Thomas Walker
    00 JJK
    01 Appalachia
    02 JJK
    03-04 Haysi
    04-05 Gate City

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Go ahead and mark GC up as 05-06 too.

  4. #34
    Inactive Member cvcgrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 12th, 2005
    Posts
    2,022
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Favorite Region D match-up?

    I don't have stats, but I can tell you that the LPD girls teams have been very successful, probably none moreso than the Clintwood Ladywaves of the late 1980's, who I think won consecutive championships from 1985-89.

    Of the boys teams, Twin Springs has probably been the most dominant team in Region D, with about 6 Region D Championships in the last 12-13 years.

    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm curious. In the past 10 years, how many non LPD girl teams have won Region D???

    [/ QUOTE ]
    [URL="http://cvcgrad.spaces.live.com/blog/"][/URL]

  5. #35
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Favorite Region D match-up?

    [ QUOTE ]


    Of the boys teams, Twin Springs has probably been the most dominant team in Region D, with about 6 Region D Championships in the last 12-13 years.


    [/ QUOTE ]

    6 since 92. They have missed one Region D tourney in that time span (98).
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  6. #36
    Inactive Member imported_Sportsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    1,486
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Favorite Region D match-up?

    No Clintwood didn't win consecutive Region D crowns those years. They won state in 85 and 89. Pound battled Clintwood tooth and nail those years, winning state in 88. I think Pound won a couple of Regionals.

  7. #37
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Favorite Region D match-up?

    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't have stats, but I can tell you that the LPD girls teams have been very successful, probably none moreso than the Clintwood Ladywaves of the late 1980's, who I think won consecutive championships from 1985-89.


    [/ QUOTE ]

    Not sure about regionals, but RC won the state girls title in 87.

    I just spoke with probably Clintwoods best girls player in school history, and she said they won regions in 85 and 89, also winning state those years. I think TW won the regions in 90, or 91 as well, losing in the state finals. Region D girls basketball was very strong at that time.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  8. #38
    Inactive Member cvcgrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 12th, 2005
    Posts
    2,022
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Favorite Region D match-up?

    I actually wasn't predicting a Haysi vs St. Paul final, rather that this is a game I'd like to see because I think the two teams are pretty evenly matched. I can't say that is it not possible for the two teams to end up in the championship game, that depends on how the other teams play in the tournament.

    Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to seeing Rye Cove play, and as I noted, if they are legitimately a better team, they have an opportunity to make it happen this week.

    [ QUOTE ]
    I am not saying RC is better than Haysi, just better than SP. That was why I said SP would get waxed if they face GC after you suggested a Haysi/SP final.

    [/ QUOTE ]
    [URL="http://cvcgrad.spaces.live.com/blog/"][/URL]

  9. #39
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Favorite Region D match-up?

    Well, if Haysi, and SP are evenly matched, I am afraid it will be an all LPD final then.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  10. #40
    Inactive Member cvcgrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 12th, 2005
    Posts
    2,022
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Favorite Region D match-up?

    I'm sorry, I shouldn't have stated "consecutive."

    I was referring to the 85 and 89 teams who were probably the most dominate teams Clintwood has had in the last 15 years.

    [ QUOTE ]
    No Clintwood didn't win consecutive Region D crowns those years. They won state in 85 and 89. Pound battled Clintwood tooth and nail those years, winning state in 88. I think Pound won a couple of Regionals.

    [/ QUOTE ]
    [URL="http://cvcgrad.spaces.live.com/blog/"][/URL]

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •